Halton & St Helens Voluntary and Community Action provides advice, information and development support services to voluntary, community, not-for-profit and faith organisations and volunteers in the boroughs of St Helens and Halton
After 90 years at the heart of this community, we understand its unique dynamics, needs and characteristics. Our job is to support, connect and champion members to deliver their missions with resourcefulness and resilience.
We act as a central organisation linking all voluntary organisations to make sure our members’ united voices are heard in both private and public sector conversations.
Whether you are a small group run by volunteers or a larger organisation with a growing team, finding the right kind of help with policies, procedures, financial systems and governance can be a minefield. Sometimes you need a helping hand to deliver your creative, ambitious, quality services.
Our core functions
We are an incorporated registered charity (charity number 1106001, company number 2539153) operational since 1932, with bases in The Beacon, St Helens and St Maries, Widnes. We are affiliated with the National Association of Voluntary and Community Action and undertake these five core functions:
- Development - Identifying local needs and working with partners and members to develop community solutions. Ensuring our sector grows in a strong and sustainable way.
- Liaison - Helping to maintain links with a wide range of voluntary and community organisations and promoting cross-sector relationships.
- Representation - Enabling the local voluntary and community sector to present its views to statutory and public sector bodies through consultation, networking, fora and workshops.
- Services - Providing funding information, training and advice on legal, financial, management and constitutional matters, meeting space, newsletters and mailings.
- Strategic Partnerships - Working with key local partners in the public and private sector to enable the voluntary sector to engage in policymaking, lobbying and advocacy of local people’s needs at a strategic level.